Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

4 Crafty Chicks Challenge #121: Make your own patterned paper

This week at 4 Crafty Chicks Challenge, the assignment was to make your own patterned paper and then create with it!  I'm a guest designer the month of December, and I really enjoyed this challenge!  I love to get messy!
Here is my completed piece of homemade patterned paper!  I used recycled/repurposed things to make my patterns, that otherwise would have been thrown away! 

 
And here is the layout I created with my new paper!
 
 

Here is a look at the recycled materials I used to add the various textures and patterns to my cardstock.
 
And add a nice big squeeze of white acrylic paint to work with:
 
Dab that paint all over the bubble surface of the bubblewrap with a sponge.
 
Place that face down onto your darker cardstock anywhere you like - I chose an angled tilt and off-center.
 
Next, I sponged white paint all over the foam slats of this little protective cover that Asian Pears come wrapped in, and placed it face down on my cardstock, too!
 
Try to keep the various items you are placing on the cardstock still, without sliding them, as you will end up with a big white smudge rather than a print/pattern.
Here's how that came out.  You can turn the foam inside-out and you will have the other diorection of the weave pattern.
 
Next, I added in a shimmery blue acrylic paint to coordinate with my photo.
I sponged that all over one side of the plastic rings that I saved from my son's individual juice bottles (I don't normally buy these, but he was very sick, and he needed the fluids!)

 
I placed this face down on the paper and pressed firmly!

 
Next, I sponged the entire corrugated side of this little lightbulb box insert with a mixture of the blue and white paints, and reapeated my face-down press!

 
 
I used these products and tools to create this patterned paper & layout:
American Crafts Metropolitan City Park paper
Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint in white
Folkart acrylic paint in Metallic Blue Sapphire
Magic Scraps Felt Die Cut Shapes "All Boy"
Tim Holtz ideo-ology memo pins
Mon Ami Gabby Crepe Paper
XXL Glue Dots
Bazzill Basics Classic Blue & Handsome cardstock
Michaels ribbon
Adorn It font stickers
CTMH distressing ink in brown
thickers vinyl white letters
Old tags, one of which was from a sweater I recently purchased
foam cover from an Asian Pear
Corrugated cardboard insert from a lightbulb box
plastic separating rings from juice bottles for kids
bubblewrap
embroidery floss
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Incredible tutorial! I love how you made you pattern paper. Inspiration is your middle name...right? Love the colors and the layout that you shared with us too. Fantastic pattern paper...you made my challenge this week look so easy. Thank you. Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments!